Rework notes function - in one or multiple phases
• allow a note to be attached to multiple passages - with the note icon appearing on each passage
• allow all links - to other notes, PDF's mp3's, PowerPoint's, web, mind maps, sentence diagrams, vocabulary lists
• permit notes to be attached to a lemma, liturgical date, search string...
• allow default note icon color to be set at the file level; permit more colors (at least match L3)
• allow user selection of highlight style to indicate attached note/selected text - include suppressing highlighting or show only on mouse over
• improve input window (more like L3)
• sequence multiple note icons on a text by standard Prioritization
• permit at least as much formatting as in L3 which includes tables, illustrations, colored text, underlined text ...
• additional formating: fine control of font size, highlighting
• permit notes to be made from templates
• integrate a journaling feature - a note file that automatically includes date in the title and automatically sorts on date
• allow a search specifically on notes (or my content) with result search terms highlighted in automatically expanded notes
• allow tags on all notes and a search on those tags
• allow table of contents similar to L3
• sort sequences: (a) additional sequences: canon, created date, last modified date, user note title, highlighting; .(b) remember sequence function (allow temporary); (c) set priority for sort ket values (example: liturgical year)
• layout should remember position in a note file (specific note)
• add linkset functionality to notes (requires appropriate sort sequences) [this allows My Commentary; added to clippings it allows "My Catena"]
• ability to add notes to collections
• use right click rather than red x for delete
• permit drag and drop on multiple notes
Note specific functions:
• allow notes and note files to be merged or split
• add a reporting feature which pulls all notes on a given pericope into a printable, exportable file.
• Implement parity for Mac version
General functions - including but not limited to notes:
• include spell checker in notes
• retain "deleted" notes (and other user content) for a period of time - permitting a restore function
• improve the performance: keyboard entry, long notes and note files
• allow the sharing of notes between users
• automatic linking of Bible references to handle double punctuation and all standard citation abbreviations
• pop-up window (especially notes & references in notes) to be as large as the note requires with the ability to be pinned and scrolled.
• allow creation of new file and opening of any existing file via right-click (notes, clippings, etc.)
• allow prioritization of files (especially notes) in "My Content" section
• allow searching of My Content by heading
• allow the saving of a BWS either into a Clipping or a Note
Greater detail and examples available at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30837.aspx?PageIndex=2
Please see the detailed response here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/96898.aspx
Philip Smith commented
A powerful & versatile note system should greatly enhance Logos Bible Software and increase its usefulness in personal Bible Study, Bible Class & sermon preparation. Please Bob, make it so.
Bob and Kathy Dumont commented
I posed a question today and was given the suggestion to vote on this page, including a link to the thread, since it brings up an issue not previously addressed. Here are two links for questions I raised:
It sure would be great to post scripture links where you want to have them in your notes without dragging them!
Voting is done by clicking VOTE up left, next to the title. Leaving a comment does NOT act as a vote.
Please don't leave comments unless you actually have something to add, and PLEASE don't leave multiple comments with the same content. The comments are mainly for adding things we've missed in our list, or stressing the features that are most important to you.
Mike T commented
Yes, fixed notes would be awesome.
Ellie Sullivan commented
YES...this is all great functionality that needs to be there....at least bring it up to the L3 level...we lost a lot in the UPgrade! And while fixing all this, please don't forget MAC. Notes is even worse there!!!
A note to new users (since I see several below who have left comments, but seemingly not voted): the important thing is that you VOTE, preferably giving it the maximum of 3 votes. That's what shows Logos how important this is to you. The comments are mainly for adding things we've missed in our list, or stressing the features that are most important to you.
Martha Hartman commented
fix please. Important!
On behalf of Angelia Ulrich: "I believe in L3 that I was able to colorize portions of my notes. For example, I had "application" notes to myself in burgundy. Now I can only Bold or Italicize. Please consider giving us the colorizing option within Notes. Thank you."
On behalf of Martin Foley: "May I suggest the attachment of notes to entire resources as well, for the writing of personal reviews / comments / thoughts about the resource as a whole."
Angelia Ulrich commented
These would be great! I'd also like the auto-correct function of Microsoft Word to operate within the Notes. Thanks
Thomas Leighow commented
What good are notes if you can't access them easily? Please, please, please fix the notes in Logos 4 Mac to do those things that can be done on a PC. It doesn't seem as if it should be hard to program notes in Mac to go directly to the specific note selected. We need this. Please help.
David Saeli commented
Really? After 1+ years of owning this program and I'm just now finding out, after writing a book worth of notes, that I can't search easily through notes?? Please fix. This is something that I would expect in this otherwise great program.
David Paul commented
Wow...top 15. I wonder where this is going? I don't just mean the rank of this request...but the actual implementation of the request.
Can Logos pull it together and get this right?
The time/date stamp is important to me. This feature is already available for clippings. It shouldn't be too difficult for the developers to add it to notes.
Also, this may be included in the first bullet under "Note navigation", but search results need to highlight (somehow) precisely where in the note file the search found something.
John Duffy commented
As others have indicated also elsewhere, while resources are the raw materials of our work, Notes are often the finished product (or close to it). Yet, the lack of features in Logos 4 shows that there is so little vision for managing the output of our labour, compared to the excelllent features and flexibility for the resources that go into it. Logos, please give Notes/Clippings a higher priority/vision.
While I'm here, could I add that using tags on Notes would be helpful, at a Note level, or per entry, or both. Especially if adding tags was from a drop-down list of existing tags, with an option to add a new tag. (This would avoid the problem of multiple nearly-identical tags being created because we can't remember the whole list of tags in use, all the time, in our brains. This is why I don't use tags, apart from tagging resources to create collections in my library).
In Notes please add the ability to drag & drop a link into the Hyperlink box of notes. See this post: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/31637.aspx
An explanation for some of you who had not seen the development of this request. Many of the individual items are very doable - they either expand a current capability (more colors for notes) or ask that an existing function be expanded to include Notes. However, these requests were scattered across many requests so the votes showing how important Notes are to users was hidden. Pulling these requests together makes it clear that there is considerable consensus on how users want to use notes.
It is true that there is a problem that requires serious thought in design - the addition of tables and graphics to notes. This is a problem within the PC/MAC product and an additional problem when one adds in mobile devices.
The title "one or multiple phases" is intended to ask Logos to at least start work on the things that are "low hanging fruit" so we know they are serious about addressing the issues.
Thomas Black commented
@MarCya, Notes does for the most part operate as Logos intended it to (WPF issues aside). This is really just a push to re-vision what Notes should be.
I don't understand why we would have to vote for something that is such a no brainer! We paid for a sophisticated program and this should have been included in the first place.