I suggest you ...

Logos on Linux

"We will not be developing a desktop/offline application for Linux.
https://app.logos.com continues to improve and will be our solution for any platform that supports a web browser."

Which is ONLY available by paid subscription, and ONLY available while online. This is not opening up your library (which must be purchased) to the largest audience possible.

Please consider one of these two better options that could be used in a future version of LOGOS:

1. AVOID frameworks that are NOT multi-platform (ie: using Internet Explorer components [report display engine]). Instead, use available multi-platform options like Firefox or Chromium.

2. A two pronged system vaguely reminiscent of RedHat's setup. You would have your in-house proprietary library and extended features (all purchasable items like you have already), and then they would plug into an open sourced GUI that had only basic features (like your Core Engine only has basic features). You could maintain executive control over the project, but by making the core/GUI available to the vast range of multi-platform programmers you would in essence be gaining thousands of hours of free labor. The difference here though, is that everyone benefits.

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Keith Parker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • T. H. Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add my support to this. After BibleWorks died, I switched to Logos with their BibleWorks crossover package; while the web app "continues to improve", the most difficult issue is that I cannot use it offline. While this does provide support for every platform that supports a web browser, I will not be able to ever accomplish native offline support. If I was able to download my purchases I could at least open them up in an another reader, but given the encrypted/binary format of Logos resources, this is not an option.

The closest I can do to accomplish this is run a Windows virtual machine and have Logos installed through this. BibleWorks at least offered Linux compatibility through Wine, but not Logos. Wine is a terrible solution, but at least I wouldn't have to run a full-blown virtual machine to accomplish Logos on Linux. This situation is altogether less than ideal as it requires a high-powered machine which can run the VM as well as Logos itself; I'm looking at upgrading my RAM solely so I can have a better experience, but I would ideally have to also invest in having better graphics support, which is a hassle to think about (e.g. GPU Passthru). Besides TurboTax, the one pain point I have with software is now offline Logos being attached to Windows. I also do not find being able to run Android apps on Linux as a viable alternative; the mobile apps lack basic parity with the desktop app, and even the mobile app. Furthermore, I also take issue with companies like Microsoft and Apple providing support to governments as they do. I fully believe in submission to the government as per Romans 13, but that does not mean I need support companies which do not support people first.

A future update to Logos (e.g. Logos 9) which enables offline support for other platforms would be lovely and worth an update in and of itself.

Practically speaking, should I ever find myself in a missionary context where the internet is more tightly monitored, I would not be comfortable accessing my files through a web browser. That and most likely, Logos would be blacklisted anyways, thus further defeating any ability to use it overseas in such contexts.

I ask that Logos reconsider its position and provide an offline solution for those who do not wish to be under the thumb of large tech companies with anti-Christian agendas.

• Keith Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@aaron cirilo:
    I agree this is frustraiting. Have you heard of (or tried) a program called "E-Sword"? It is a bible study program that has many options and has a decent sized library available. While proprietery, the program is free. Also, there are many free library additions as well as those that can be purchased. It wisely allows you to specify a location for your library files, which allows you to use a service such as Dropbox to always have it available.

It is built for Windows and Mac, but it works very well via Wine in Linux.

E-Sword
    http://www.e-sword.net

• aaron cirilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

an extremely frustrating situation. The web app is sluggish. There are many good languages to build a self contained Logos app for linux. I know the linux desktop marketshare is small and diverse yet if it was thoughtfully designed it could be done in a VM appliance type model. Build it for VirtualBox or such. .. in the meanwhile..i'll let my Logos Now expire..as i search for another Bible program.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If profit is the number 1 priority (morally bankrupt though that is), surely producing a linux GUI will be profitable, even if not as profitable as the other platforms. Who knows, maybe more profitable if the aforementioned '2 pronged' attackis implemented; that is, let the established open source linux community of developers do the GUI for you.

• Keith Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is a third option:

3. Leave what you have as-is, EXCEPT: create API hooks that would allow an open source implementation of the GUI to function from various platforms.

Feedback and Knowledge Base